View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Interesting Grants and Loans situation

Mr Mon,

Thanks again. You're giving me a lot of ideas that I certianly would have never considered. I may have a few issues though.

Firstly, I am pretty sure it is way too late at this point to apply for grad school for the upcoming fall. So that might not work out very well in itself...yet.

Actually, let's say this first. I went and talked to the advisor and here is the result...

1) I am switching over to English Education. When I get that degree in two years, it is and IDENTICAL degree as if my major was English. Both are just listed as "Bachelor's in English." The only addition for the EE one is that from the STATE of Illinois (not the university), I will get a teaching certificate for high school level.

2) I can switch back at any time. If next January I realize that I hate teaching, I can switch my major back to English no problem, and apply for graduation next May. So in terms of my "insurance policy," it is still there.

3) In terms of marketing myself, the advisor said to basically make two resumes. Make one resume for teaching that focuses on my strong points and my certification. Make another resume that focuses on the boatload of English classes I took in my 6 years. In both cases, I will probably be asked why it took me 6 years instead of 4, and I think that if anything, this question would give me an opportunity to tout myself in an interview.

4) Basically as it stands, I will be going for a Bachelor's in English in 6 years, and it will carry with it the certification. This will save me roughly $10,000 (or it should anyway), and I don't lose a great deal.

Finally, I really really really like your idea MrMon about Masters. I just can't figure out how I would swing it at this point.

All,

I agree that teaching somewhere other than the state of Illinois, or my hometown specifically, would probably be beneficial. Truth is, I'm two years away from really having to make that choice of what location I want to teach in. A lot could change too. I love my family dearly and being close to them would be a huge boost for my general happiness. That said, for all I know both of my families (parents divorced long ago) could move away from my hometown and then I have no reason to stay there.

Soooooo,

Basically I'm just trying to tie up loose ends right now so that I can get back on track to get financial aid. I won't have a BA this May, but I can get one as soon as next December if I decide I hate teaching. Then I will be out some extra money, but I will have tried to do what I love.

I really hope I like teaching and all is well in the world. I also hope that I can get my masters and make some dolla bills doing teaching.

Again, I thank you very very much for your input. Given my current situation, I think I'm making the best move by switching over majors for now and reevaluating next fall.