View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Emotional Affairs

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg, you make a lot of good points, and believe it or not, I agree with most of them. However, I think your statements live in a "perfect world" where "this is how it should be." Most of us do not.

Should men and women be able to be friends, even if they are in relationships with others? Of course they should. In the real world, does this often lead to unfortunate complications, jealousies and misunderstandings? Yes, they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just take these difficulties for granted and think they are well worth dealing with. Far from expecting a perfect world, I am willing to deal with an imperfect one rather than close my life down enough that I can kid myself that I have achieved some sort of safety. That is, if you are going to cheat, you are going to do it anyway, and so is your partner, whether or not she has friends of the opposite sex. Imagining that they won't strikes me as self-deception. This is a question of fundamental character. Temptation is a constant, not an occasional appearance, and you can either be persuaded or you can't.

I don't mind if life is a little harder. The human companionship is worth it and right up there at the top of what life has to offer. And I think one's significant other should be cut some slack, or else one should find another whom they trust more.