View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Beating Poker Bots

[ QUOTE ]
Those who build and share databases of online players have a huge advantage over the average joe. In live face-to-face play, a player must rely on his/her brain to recall the past when making a present decision. In my opinion, the advantage of databases, software, and the bots who employ them can be severely limited if the online rooms would adopt a few practices:

1. Allow players to change their screen name whenever they may choose: this renders the database tactic much less powerful. Most online rooms say they are against database sharing; however, this is the only way to do anything about it. I think it very unfair that i can sit down at an online table having never played with anyone at the table and yet they may have potentially years of my past play at their disposal to use against me.

2. Stop the instant hand history instant downloads; history could and should still be available but ONLY after you leave a table. Therefore, a player can still use the data to analyze and track their sessions and improve their play AFTER their session.

[/ QUOTE ]

To deal with #1, find another winning player (a friend that you trust enough to loan money to) and log on to each other's accounts once in a while and play on each other's accounts, exchanging money afterwards to square up. That should be enough to throw enough wrenches into the mix.

#2 is actually in favor of the person who doesn't have a huge database. Seeing the hand instantly enables YOUR mental collection of that player's hands to go from 0 to 1, which is a much bigger edge that Database Edge Joe's going from 10,000,000 to 10,000,000.