View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Fantasy Sports vs. Poker - Long Run, Variance, and Similarity to SNGs

You both have decent arguements. The only thing that would truly settle this argument would be to compare the standard deviations of finish position in 9 handed leagues versus 9 handed DnGs, and find the # of DNGs where their standard deviations were equal.

I'm pulling these numbers out of nowhere.
If your standard deviation of finish in 1 sng is 2, and your SD of finish position in a fantasy league is 1, then clearly the league is worth more than a sng. How many sngs is it worth? My guess would be 4. (1/2 = SDofset/number in set = (sqrt(4))/4 = 1/2)

This would give you a benchmark so you could determine what "long run" really means for fantasy sports. My gut says that it's longer than your friend wants to give credit for, but much shorter than the long run for sngs or mtts.

Also your argument that "time means nothing" I think is poorly thought out. SNGS are a game of extreme incomplete information, as well as massive uncertainty. Regardless of how long it takes to come to a decision, you can only do so much with what data you're given. Fantasy sports however are a game of slight incomplete information with massive uncertainty. In theory the longer you have to make decisions, then better your decisions should be because of all the extra available information.

Lastly you seem to want to draw the parallel that 1 hand in a sng = 1 at bat, but to me it makes more sense that 1 hand in a sng should parallel a decision that you make (i.e, to play so and so). Perhaps every card of the flop, turn, and river would be a better parallel for an at bat.