View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:46 PM

Default Re: religion and faith (also long)

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience most people seem to be able to believe in (ie trust, and congruently act as if it were true) just about anything. Particularly if it is true. Do you think that there are classes of things that are true that you are not able to believe in?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really been your experience? There have definitely been things that were 100% true that I simply couldn't believe in.

But that still doesn't approach this question. If 2+2=5 were true, could you believe it?

It's nonsensical. It's impossible for me to believe that 2+2=5, so it's impossible for me to even consider the situation of 2+2=5 being "true." The situation with God is the same. Your statements that you can't justify God's actions, but trust Him anyway, are equivalent to saying "I can't tell you why 2+2=5, but just believe it!" It's not just that the Christian God seems unlikely, it's that He doesn't add up.

Those justifications are necessary for me to believe that the architect of hell is omnibenevolent, just as they are necessary for me to believe that 2+2=5 (assuming I can do so in the first place). It's not just a matter of asking me to believe it, you're going to have to tell me how I can believe such a thing before I even have the choice.