View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Incident in Jena,La.

@Taso

The outrage (at least my outrage) has nothing to do with these young men being arrested for beating another young man. Regardless of what the victim said, I hope we all agree that a beating is not justified and the perpetrators should be punished. The problem is in the apparent inequality in punishment meted out to black and white people in this town.

<ul type="square">[*]Black student attack white student = attempted 2nd degree murder[*]White man pulls gun on black students = theft of a fire arm by the black students[*]White students/townsfolk beat black students at a party day(s) before white student is beaten = no action taken[*]16 year old black student found guilty of attempted 2nd degree murder in adult court by a jury of all white "peers"[*]Reports of intimidation by DA toward black students[/list]Maybe we're just getting one side of the story. Maybe a town with a white's only shade tree is progressive enough that it's justice system doesn't have underlying threads of racism. Maybe the town uses nooses as decoration all the time and this symbolic act was simply misconstrued by the black students. Obviously we'll never know absolutely all of the details, but this smacks of prejudice that pervades to all levels of this town's society and that is more than enough evil for me to become upset.