View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Talk to me about AJo from various positions.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On cold calling -- my view is that if you are not prepared to consider a raise with a hand dont call. No good player even considers a raise with AJ - ergo no call.

Similarly if the UTG PFR is soooo tight that you dont want to raise AQ, fold it.

If others have already cold called it is of course a different story and AJo is still a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that. From the cutoff AJ is certainly a raise first in, and also a raise vs a limper. There are some merits to not raising with AJ from early position. But to say that no good player considers raising with AJ is a big stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant cold calling a raiser. By my criteria I am folding a AJ against a EP raiser, a rock raiser in MP, 3 betting a maniac, etc. Note that I am not cold calling.

The idea is -- lets say you are considering calling a raise preflop, ask yourself "Can I raise in this situation with this hand, and against this player" if the answer is YES then raise, if the answer is NO fold. Note that you may choose to cold call the raiser but that should be only for meta-game IMO and not the basic strategy.