View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: I met a girl last night, she is a high school senior

my school, and i assume most schools in general, weight ap courses more heavily, so it was impossible to be a top ranked student w/o taking ap courses. even so, there were similar gripes in my high school, except it was about kids taking the easier ap courses. my school system offered ~20 ap courses (not sure of the exact number), so there was some gpa buffering with vanilla ap classes. there were a few students in my high school class who had taken more difficult courses than our valedictorian, but our goal wasn't to be the valedictorian. i feel like this is a pretty common scenario and the students who have taken a stronger course load should take solace in having better preparation for college.

[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line is she has sacrificed so much for a goal of being the best, but it is the best of the lowest level. Her next level of education will be that much harder because of this.
She is the Barry Bonds of class ranking, she deserves an asterisk on the program. ( OK, maybe a bit harsh for a high school kid, but her parents deserve a KITN).

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but it's her prerogative. i'm sure she's aware that she could have been better prepared for college by taking a stronger course load, but college preparation wasn't her only goal. it's ridiculous that the school doesn't weight ap courses, but given that it doesn't, the girl hasn't done anything wrong and hasn't hurt anyone. she is not the best student, but she has the best grades,

also where is she going to college? our valedictorian was no slouch, but there were people from my high school class who got into better schools

edit: i should say attended better schools, b/c i don't know the schools that accepted her, only the one she attended.