View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 09:32 AM

Default Re: WSOPE Hand vs Townsend

I agree generally that this is a good spot to fold/shove preflop. You risk 20k to win 5k, and i think he shows up with AA/KK pretty infrequently for a preflop 3bet.

Noone has talked about this, but... If you have been playing very tight/solid, then its possible he doesnt really think you are stealing, and will have a hand here, hoping that you will shove light and he will call (ie he has QQ, KK, AA). In that case, i'd actually lean towards folding. If you have shown yourself to have a little game, despite solid play, then i like a shove most i think.

Given that you called, or if you want to call, an interesting line to take is to check behind until he bets, then shove over a bet. e.g., you would shove over the 4k on the turn. Unless you are planning some shenanigans (especially on a board like this one...), just calling preflop is horrible here. You are definitely look at a reverse implied odds against a player like Townsend. This line is super gambly, but might work and you pick up more chips if you are convinced that he is light pre.