View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 08:16 PM

Default Re: hand protection in practice

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a horrible play, but one you should use sparingly against the right set of opponents. Button is a passive player

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he isn't. AF is not an absolute figure. He's probably more aggressive than we are.

[ QUOTE ]
so you are likely behind and drawing to 6 outs (BDSD worth about 0.5 each but discount your pair outs somewhat).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd consider the backdoor draws worth a bit more than half an out, and I wouldn't discount my overcard outs much, if at all. When it's checked to him, this guy is as likely to have a pair of 3s as a pair of Ts. His range is so huge that while he could have Q3 or A3, he could have a ton of other hands, so that you are only a fraction of an out down.

[ QUOTE ]
The board is not really drawy so your raise is -EV

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree.

[ QUOTE ]
for two other reasons:

1) you encourage weaker Ax and Qx hands to fold that would otherwise pad the pot and pay you off

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, when the river comes an ace, I'm delighted that A6 has folded. You just don't get to choose which hands you fold out and which you get to keep in.

[ QUOTE ]
2) On a board like this, you will rarely get the stronger hands (A3,A4,65) to fold and effectively charge yourself double.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just wrong. 65 probably doesn't fold but the others do. But 65 is drawing against us, so it's not us who is charged double.

[ QUOTE ]
[Against a maniac/laggy player, a c/r on a dry board to protect Ace-high is perfectly fine...then if you get everyone to fold, you c/c to showdown unimproved.]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero's play has given him the best possible chance to win this big pot for the cost of one bet. You want to call, let the whole table call along with you and try to outdraw all seven of them! Hmmm, good luck.