View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: David Sklansky is an ACist

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that everyone dislikes mugging? Because I'm sure that's not the case. If it was the case mugging would never happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that even people who mug would be better off if they didn't. The $20 I have in my pocket isn't worth the potential retaliation. People mug because they mistakenly conclude it is their best play.

People slit their wrists too. Do you think that is ever +EV?

People *will* act as they please. So the mugger *will* act on the bias that tells him mugging is a good idea. To me, acting on a bias rather than eroding it is not entirely bad. There is some good to it too. But in my mind, the good sort of "approaches" the bad. I think of it as 9.999 repeating vs. 10. The erosion of the bias is always slightly better, even if acting on the bias, in some instances, comes pretty damn close.

And that, my friend, is pretty deep.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of anything that humans universally agree is a good preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because some humans act erroneously. The conscious screws things up sometimes. But take a mugger. How do you think even he would feel if someone steals his television set? I'm guessing he feels ripped off, and different than say, when he lost a big poker hand. The subconscious is tougher to trick.