View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: 5CD Question about Value Bets/Raises

[ QUOTE ]
Here are my thoughts on these situations:

A big bet post-draw from a pat hand doesn't necessarily mean that he has a top pat hand such as a FH. It's more likely he put you correctly on trips and thought you would call his post draw bet unimproved to see if he was bluffing. In my opinion, with 8s full this is a clear check-raise, or you raise into his hand, he will most likely call you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said the big raise meant that he has a great pat hand. I was just confused because the bet was much too big for me to pay off with unimproved trips, so the bet just looked too big to me. A stop&go bluff just seems a tad too sophisticated for those stacks, I do give him credit for a pat hand here, and I know I am easily ahead of a pat range. I don't see how the check/raise is clear here, as I don't know how likely he will actually pay me off with less than a medium Full House, I think that decision is much mor marginal. Let's see if somebody else thinks the check/raise is much clearer than I figure it to be right now. I don't see any point in leading into him at all, that could just put me in a much harder decision and seems to even lose value to check/calling there.

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't put UTG on trips at all here. If he had low trips such as 222-999 he would raise to narrow down the field. Only if he had top trips like QQQ-AAA, he might limp in, but then he would definitely respond your raise with a reraise. Usually at these levels a 1 card draw means a draw (as it was in this situation). As you said, checking is OK, he either had you beat with a made hand or folded a busted draw anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah, his play didn't make much sense to me, but he hadn't even played a draw against a single raise in the hour I sat at the table, why would he do so for a raise and a reraise? His play doesn't make too much sense with trips either, but it was the most reasonable hand I had put him on. I still wonder how to play trips vs trips situations OOP unimproved, seems like that's something that can go very wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

In this situation I usually check and fold if it is raised to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't always call anyway, but often times the Limper will take a stab at the pot with an unimproved high pair, so if the opponent is someone who does I definitly like to catch his bet. I just wonder if it's better to call the bet or lead out myself to take down the pot. I'm not talking about calling a potsize bet here but rather the usual minbet many people make after the draw. I'm definitly more likely to fold when someone bets OOP or into a larger field or seems to be a tight player who rarely bets.