View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: IRS Withholding on US Tournament Winnings Starts in 2008

[ QUOTE ]
John Pappas just sent me an email informing me that the PPA is committed to fighting this.

[ QUOTE ]
When I say fight, I mean attorneys, appeals and lawsuits. We have agreed to commit the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

PPA is heading in a new direction. New leadership and new digs....they still have to prove they'll do what they say, but I hope we'll all give them a chance and keep an open mind. After all, Pappas' transition period has been more productive than the past year was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy I sure hope they don't spend much money on this one!

Of the 30,000,000 million poker players in the US how many play in live events where the buy-in is more than $5,000.00???

You can discount almost all on-line sites. Other than what 3-4 major events a year affecting no more than 20,000 players all who would have to file returns in the US and who were not professional gamblers who does this help?

Professional gamblers have to file quarterly estimates, this actually helps them with their paperwork! Non-US players perhaps have to check a box that they are not affected by the law or have to file to get a refund.

If you are winning $5,000 events you already have to among the very few of the entire PPA membership for this law to affect you. Yes as a step for poker players it is a negative in general, but it is not a fight that concerns the majority of the membership, any more than getting easier tax write offs for corporate jets is for most businesses.

I would hope that the PPA doesn't go overboard on this one!!! Unless it is part of an overall tax strategy it's a looser. Public relations wise for the PPA it is even worse!

What any half decent grassroots political hack like me could do with just the retainer any lawyer is going to get could have much better ROI for the whole membership!!!

Boy I hope John will reconsider this one...........

D$D