View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Trade ideas...lets see what we can come up with

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For long-term value investors, do you take into account this type of information?

I assume not or else my road just got a little longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread is specifically aimed at active managers (alpha), not long term passive allocations (beta)

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Value investors are the epitomy of alpha generators, i.e. Buffett has generated as much or more alpha as anyone in the world.

For the most part, if you are a value investor, this kind of information can usually be ignored. Typically you are looking for the best risk/reward ratios among investments in your circle of competence, and ignore the macro-economic picture. Buffett has said this many times, and most of his investments are like that. There are exceptions, such as his recent currency bet, but that's more a factor of the extreme size of his portfolio, and his limited opportunities in large cap stocks.

Another counter example could be if you are buying a company whose profitability is linked to low interest rates, you've got to make a reasonable assumption about the future of interest rates. But usually you are just trying to find good businesses at very low prices, with a margin of error so great that it doesn't matter what the economy is doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you know what i meant. it is aimed at macro type bets. i thought he meant "long term passive portfolio" and i corrected that.

value-investing, isn't the industry i'll be going into, nor is it as practiced as it should be. despite buffet "telling 'em time and again."

equities aren't my passion and there are so many things going on in the world i wanted to make a non-equity alpha generation thread.

so pick away!
Barron