Thread: To move up...
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: To move up...

[ QUOTE ]
grunching, but I saw a long reply already so I may be repeating things...

Simple answers to your questions:
[ QUOTE ]
How many of you multi table?

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite a few. I usually do, unless I'm just donking around and/or my session is officially over & I'm just playing out one great table.

[ QUOTE ]
How many tables?

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel most comfortable with 3, although I'm confident in my ability to win while 4-tabling (full ring, not so much 6max). I know there are guys out there playing upwards of 12 tables at a time, but I have no idea how they do it.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you remember going through this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hells yes. When I first started trying to 2-table I felt lost all the time on both games, misclicked half the time, and had some pretty lousy results.

[ QUOTE ]
How should I start?

[/ QUOTE ]
Slowly, and at stakes that don't much matter to your bankroll. Even cutting your multitabling teeth on play money tables is an option.

[ QUOTE ]
When did you know you were ready?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was utterly confident in my ability to beat the games, which in fairness were a lot softer back then. As I put in more and more hands while multitabling, I got more and more comfortable doing so. Added the third table not too long after that, and worked in a fourth soon after. Basically, I knew I was ready to add another table when I found myself getting bored while playing, and doing things like watching tv, surfing pr0n, posting here, etc.

A few more suggestions:

-First and foremost, get a setup that allows you to multitable with no overlap. Whether that means a bigger/better monitor, resizing the tables, or sitting a bit closer to your desk. The thing that killed me early on was trying to play two tables with overlap, where one kept popping up in front of the other one. Once I got a bigger monitor that supported a higher resolution setting, things got much easier.
-Again, work your way into it slowly. In addition to dropping down in stakes, don't make multitabling your new norm immediately--try it for short periods at the beginning of your sessions, when you're fresh & focused. Try not to get involved in short-handed tables at first, as they obviously play much faster (and involve more thinking during hands).
-If you haven't already, invest in a HUD program to go with PT or whichever tracking software you use. Having those little numbers overlaid on your tables makes a huge difference, and allows for much faster decision-making in your games.
-This may sound kooky, but if you're still struggling to keep up while playing two tables, try watching two tables at once for a while. Not trying to take in every single action that takes place in each hand, but focusing in on one or two players at each table & following their decisions. Being able to effectively prioritize & divide your attention is a huge part of multitabling.
-If you still aren't feeling it, then don't force it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with single-tabling, and in fact for the recreational/developing player, it's probably best to stick with one-tabling as long as you can stand it. Your game will improve faster, as will your overall understanding of poker & ability to read others' hands. Multi-tabling is a great way for a winning player to increase his hourly earn without having to move up in stakes, but it also tends to diminsh the speed of his development as a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^what he said^^^

is this post from my gimmick account?
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]