View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Backpacking in WY / Gear List

[ QUOTE ]
Badger - Trust me on this, raingear is of very little use in the backcountry. It's much more important to bring capilene type clothing that dries out quickly and wicks moisture away from your body. Don't bring anything cotton. Goretex is worthless once it gets dirty. Goretex jackets are also bulky and heavy.

I didn't know you were bringing your noob gf. This fact alone will add a solid 15 pounds to your back. It also means bringing a tent.

Don't tell me I'm crazy about the boots either. If you and your girl don't have a pair of WELL BROKEN IN hiking boots, you will both be in misery if you wear hiking boots. And like I keep saying, every pound, every ounce you can cut in wieght, will end up making a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

My rainjacket is 13 ounces and very breatheable. I think it's quite worth it. My tent is < 4 pounds as well, so I don't mind bringing that for my sake and not the girlfriends. I think we just have different take on the whole matter. I've never had an issue with pack weight getting to me, and am often camping in snow. Going as UL as you recommend just can't be done when you're camping in freezing temperatures. I'd be in complete agreement if I was doing long distances on the Appalachain Trail.

And yes the gf has worn in hiking boots. And she pulls all her own weight. She did a hell of a job of it on our first trip to CO. Last year I bought her a similar boot to my Asolo's that have given me, I think, one blister in hundreds of miles of hiking.

I'm sure I'll come back to your advice sometime when I get around to another 100+ mile trip.