View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Introduction to Five Tools Analysis: Hitting

[ QUOTE ]
How do you go about purposefully generating more backspin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Slicing "down" on the bottom half of the ball creates the backspin. These are the type of hits that send liners over the CFers head because he can't judge them. It's tough to do, and personally, I could only square up the ball. Once in a while get those good backspin liners. Usually on slicing, opposite field shots on low-ish away pitches.

Kyle: About Bonds...hasn't he shortened up his swing since '01? That video of him is surprising. I could have sworn his swing was much more efficient than that.

But his torque is incredible, especially considering he's got terrible knees, and the power he generates from his top-hand is second-to-none. I love his swing.

Pujols' swing is also amazing, ldo. He's got those long legs and thick thighs which allows him to spread his feet wide, and just twist his hips to generate all his power. Pujols never looks like he's swinging hard because it's all in the legs/hips. That's why he can throw his bathead out on a low-and-away pitch and line it 395 feet into the right-center bleachers. So pretty.