View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Outrageous Anti-Mormon bigotry against Romney

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow is this going to backfire.

[/ QUOTE ]

On both of them. Unless they find Romney is doing it to himself.

But Romney believes in Joseph Smith and all that BS where he dictated the text to some guy and now he wants to be pres? come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why someone believing in Joseph Smith and the golden plates is so much more farfetched than believing in Moses and that God gave him the Ten Commandments, or more farfetched than believing that the Koran contains the words of Allah given to Muhammad via the archangel Gabriel.

Joseph Smith and the Mormon story just appears more strange to people unfamiliar with the faith. It isn't really much more farfetched.

Most people generally believe and feel comfortable with what they were raised up with as children. The fact that they have a religious background doesn't necessarily mean they can't make sound or moral decisions.

Of course, if they believe in something that has evil real-world effects, rather than in something merely erroneous or frivolous, then that may become a different matter (as in believing in Shari'a Law, a system with evil real-world effects when viewed through the lens of a Western civil-rights-oriented perspective).

Romney doesn't favor replacing the Constitution with Mormon Law, does he? (heh, I don't suppose so [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ); therefore, I don't think it is a big deal.

So Romney believing in Joseph Smith etc. is not more wacky than Jews believing in Moses and the Ten Commandments (literally), Muslims believing in the Koran, or Catholics or Protestants believing in various things.

You might think only atheists can reason well, or that only atheists would make good candidates for President (do you think that? Just curious), but don't forget: the atheists could be wrong too.

Thanks for reading.