View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: SMP Outdoorsmen Poll

You have, if I may say so, a very citified definition of outdoorsman. Any of those activities, once a month?

As someone who goes for long walks in the woods on a weekly basis, and goes on several weekend camping trips every summer.. I feel my own claim to "outdoorsman" is pretty shabby. I pale in comparison to the people who go to two-week-long hunting trips in the middle of nowhere every summer, or who head for the hills Friday afternoon every weekend all summer, or who live in cabins outside town and chop their own firewood all winter.

I would prefer to see your "once a month or more" category split about three ways, and perhaps the quarter/year choices combined.

I speculate you will find a mild correlation between outdoor activity and theism. I don't think this implies causation - but rather, that the more academic/intellectual types, who are drawn more to atheism, will also be more occupied with cards, computer games, reading, attending conferences, and whatnot, and have less time for the outdoors.