Thread: Q8s in SB.
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Q8s in SB.

Personally, I fold pf, but I'm really tight from the blinds, esp the SB.

on the flop i think that folding is overwhelmingly the best choice. MP could still RR the BTN's raise, and you'll be caught in the middle with just a draw. But since he didn't RR, you got great odds to draw at the second nuts.

you're right that there's almost no way to play your hand on the turn without giving it away entirely. But when you give your hand away like this, you have to bet big. You can expect observant opponents to put you on exactly the hand you have, which means their decisions will be near perfect. As played, you gave the BTN 19.5-to-5.5 odds, around 3.5-to-1, which is close to what he needs to draw at quads or a boat.

But when you review the betting, is it fair to put BTN on a flopped set?

His pf action is consistent with 22 and 77, but his play on the flop is kind of strange with a set on a two-flushed board. On the flop I want to say he has JTc or J9c, because of the minraise. He's not worried about protecting his hand because he flopped huge --- top pair and a flush draw.

But then his play on the turn confuses me again. The min bet into a $13 pot may be a sign that he completed his flush OR that he's worried someone else did and that his set has been outdrawn.

However, the min raise on the river should suggest he filled up. Tough spot man, but getting 5.5-to-1 on the river call, you just have to sack up and make him show you better. If he's betting a worse flush or trip jacks even 15% of the time, your call is break even.