View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Help a college student with \'major\' choice

Start a rock band and take them to Europe to record an album and tour instead of going to college. That way you won't waste 5 semesters of tuition money before ultimately arriving at this very obvious choice.

Believe me when I say this is the very BEST way to become a person who plays poker during the day to make real money and plays music every night to make SOME money but also stay happy. This is the obvious choice for you.

In all seriousness, dude...you need to take some intro classes and do a lot of reading -- I also agree with trying to do a couple of internships. Find out what moves you and what you think you'll be happy doing. I personally enjoyed my philosophy major at TCU, but I can't say it ever really did anything for me on a professional level (nor that it would were I to go get a regular job instead of poker/music). I think majoring in liberal arts is more fun (phil, history, sociology - sorta, English, humanities, etc.)...though business, marketing, advertising, etc., are majors which will typically get you higher-paying jobs. Or, if you're into science, become a chemical engineer. They make loads of bank. Part of your decision has to be weighed in whether grad school is in the works (ie - a history, philosophy, poli sci major is great if you're planning on going to law or economics school or something -- maybe not that great if your plan is only to pursue a bachelor's...just cause the money with a BA or BS in one of those things might not be what you want it to be).

Of course, with any major...there's always sales as an avenue to big bucks. I'd just hate my life too much to be in sales.