View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: tell us about your job

What do you do? "Operations Analyst" aka GM/OM-lite at a 3rd party logistics company (we manage warehouses)

Do you like it? So far it's pretty good.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? I'm really smart when it comes to the kind of analysis that's new to the industry.

What kind of people do best in your work? The best are the people who are able to manage people as well as compile, understand, and react to data. Lots of people in the business can do one really well. Very few people can do both. Those people are highly sought after.

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? You can be an operations manager with a high school degree. You can be a GM with any kind of community college degree (and probably without if you're really old school).

What is a typical day like? Right now: in at 8:30, walk around the warehouse for 30 minutes, talk to the shipping clerk, walk around the warehouse, back to my office, read CNN, get the GM and OM together to finally talk about my project (helping w/ RF system implementation and getting the warehouse 5S compliant), work for a bit, go to lunch, come back, maybe a conference call for about an hour if it's Wednesday or Thursday, finish my work for the day, talk to boss at regional, try to find some more work, go walk the warehouse instead for another 30 minutes, leave at 3:30.

What kind of problems do you encounter? Figuring out how we're going to get all of this done in < 3 months.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? For me, it's trying to explain new concepts to people who are very set in their ways.

How much do you make? Just above $50k per year after bonus (because if I don't get maxed out I'm leaving) plus all the free batteries and razors I'll ever need.

How much can one expect to make in your position? This is a brand new position, so that's unknown. I know that plenty of OMs make over $60k with up to 20% bonus, and GMs usually make 100-120 with up to 25% bonus. The guys in Regional are making a good deal more it seems.