Thread: Coping with ADD
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Coping with ADD

I've found poker to be the ideal job for me because I'm able to start and stop at will. My sessions are short (30-60 minutes) by 2+2 standards but my break in between sessions can be as simple as going downstairs to get a glass of water. Generally I need to consume a lot of coffee (or other stimulants when available) in order to really concentrate on the game and play a large number of tables. Music helps with this too. If this isn't possible, I'll drop down a limit and play 4 tables while watching TV or surfing the net.

Although I'll sometimes take days off if I don't feel like playing, I generally have a good work ethic. I play for at least a few hours nearly every day and regularly read/post in the strategy forums and watch Cardrunners videos. The one thing I need to work on in this area is my tendency to get lazy when running extremely well.

I've found that if I entertain myself with an ADD-friendly stimulus like TV or the internet, it's difficult for me to regain my focus. If I want to do some reading (which I do enjoy, though I'll read literally a dozen or more books at once), I do it in the morning before I've checked my email or looked at the news.

I wish I could finish things, particularly creative things. I'll have a burst of creativity and start planning or writing something, but usually I won't have much desire to work on it at a later date. I want to finish it, but either keep putting off the additional work or sit down but can't seem to get the ideas flowing again.

I self-medicate with too much caffeine. I've found adderall to be extremely effective but don't have good drug connections anymore. I'll probably jump through the hoops of getting a prescription when I'm done traveling. I've heard good things about modafinil and recently ordered some. I'll post whether I find it effective or not.