View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: borodog\'s mistaken understanding of M3...don\'t listen to his drive

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it isn't an absolute that lowering interest rates lowers the value of the dollar (which is what the OP in the last thread seemed to believe), just because it is true most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't an absolute that AA will beat 67, but it is an absolute that getting your chips in with 67 vs. AA is -EV.

[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't help anyone to say "the fed is printing money and devaluing the dollar" other than your own clan or people you are trying to convert. it would be far better if you actually explained things the way they are so that those people don't get a distorted idea of the order of operations. it wouldn't sound as good but it would be more useful in the long run so that your convertees could intelligently argue their points.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure 2X + 3X = 5X. If you for some reason (perhaps you make a career out of such things) want to spend an endless amount of energy arguing why it equals 5.2X, you shouldn't trick yourself into thinking there need be a complicated counter-argument.

In other news, I'm glad to see this thread is alive and well.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you see the issue i have here though. that issue is that when you say things like "the fed devalues the dollar by printing money" it comes accross as a literal relationship.

those who don't understand econ (many who read and have been converted) take it as such a literal relationship.

to you it is splitting hairs, possibly b/c you understand it. and yes, of course 76 will be sad to get it all in vs. AA preflop and is -EV for the 76 guy. but both players understand simply WHY!! there doesn't seem to be that understanding of why by the followers here since the OP in the BFI thread stated things the way he did.

Barron