Thread: Translator
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Translator

[ QUOTE ]
Quelques remarques :
- ante is latin. no é, just a e. Not sure how it should be treated at plurial, but in french writing "antes" probably won't shock any poker player [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
IMHO You are both right AND wrong there.

Ante is actually latin and is also a prefix, so you should leave it "ante" without accents, without plural and in italics like when you write "a priori" or "pro forma", that would be the "old school" literary way to handle it by people who catch "virii" in their computers.
Now there is a more modern school, the same people who write "scénarios" in the "médias" will post their "antés" when playing poker.
Writing "antes" with a plural but no an accent is a valid option that I have been forced to use on various occasions but it is neither completely historically valid nor assertively modern. It's a luke-warm in-between solution and I am an extremist so I dislike it. Yet the people with whom I am translating tell me this is commonly used in poker so it should do.

[ QUOTE ]

- hand# would rather be translated by "main #" rather than "coup #" (too much chess playing, barouh? :P).

[/ QUOTE ]
You are probably right there but let me tell you whle I deliberately chose to be wrong there.
"main" can mean "hand" as in "I've played the hand till showdown"
It can also mean "pocket cards" as in "ma main était une paire de valets"
Am I wrong ?
So "coup" eliminates the ambiguity. And it is not impossible to hear "il a gagné le coup".
[ QUOTE ]

-location can't be blank : if it's to fill some kind of form (ie the place where you put your name, or the place where you put the amount to bet, etc), the translation would rather be : "cet emplacement ne peut pas être vide". "Lieu" sounds inappropriate in most cases.

[/ QUOTE ]
I totally agree with you UNLESS "emplacement" means the phusical location where the Brick and mortar game has taken place.
If it is "location" as in "field in a form" go with emplacement.

[ QUOTE ]

- River : rivière.
[ QUOTE ]

Why not

[/ QUOTE ]
- stack : tapis (stack size is "montant du tapis")

[/ QUOTE ]
OK
[ QUOTE ]

- street : rue (used almost exclusively for various studs, in french, though.. in hold'em we never refer to 4th street for the turn).

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay but we say "la quatrième" and sometimes "la quatrième carte".
[ QUOTE ]

-Withdraw can also have the meaning of cashing out, in which case it would be "effectuer un retrait".

[/ QUOTE ]
YES
[ QUOTE ]

- "were" will be written differently in french depending on if it is "you were" for one person : "tu étais" ("vous étiez" being the polite form), "you were" when adressing several persons ("vous étiez"), "they were" ("ils étaient").
[ QUOTE ]

Very right

You deserve to be mentionned in the credits [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]