View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: The Well: Adanthar (1/16/07)

Chris Moneymaker's an accountant, so regardless of his skill at poker or how much he blew, I would be surprised if he didn't have several hundred thousand saved up for something, plowed into a house, a business...something. This isn't something that a lot of people are thinking about. Don't get me wrong - there are lots of guys out there that have six or even seven figures totally squared away and accounted for - but if online poker shut down tomorrow a lot of people would be busto overnight. I don't think it will (actually I'm certain it won't) and I don't think that we're gonna see a wave of talented 24 year olds declaring bankruptcy, but the fact is, for every individual that's overrated on the pocketfives leaderboard or whatever, there are probably five people that are relying on this month's (and next month's) donkament win to make the April 15'th tax payment because they blew everything from last month on Dom. For that matter, now that people have been scared into paying taxes for the first time, I'm sure April 15'th will wipe entire bankrolls out for hundreds. So wrong.

Also, I was never anywhere near 2100 at chess [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Good backing deals...I've taken both 1:1 and 2:1 on individual tournaments, for different reasons. I've also seen all sorts of makeup/no makeup backing deals of various types. In my opinion, and this is *only* my opinion, every situation is different, etc...I would not take *any* long term backing deal for both live and online play, and I also wouldn't take anything requiring makeup. Live is different because the variance is so huge, but if you are also backed for the Internet you can get in too deep very quickly.