View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Chicago suburbs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Brookfield. One of the top high schools in the state (RBHS),

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a nit, but I can think of 10 high school off the top of my head that I would bet are "better" than RBHS by some standard numeric metric. "Would" bet, because I can't think of a convenient way of verifying this.

What about:

1. New Trier
2. GBS
3. GBN
4. IMSA
5. Stevenson
6. Naperville North
7. U of C lab school
8. Hinsdale Central
9. Lake Forest high school

OK, so that's 9 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-bigbootch

[/ QUOTE ]

I provided no source for my claim, and can't, but I stand by it even so. I'm sure there are many ways it's not, however, and you may diligently track them down, fine... and it could just be one of those unfounded claims made by locals who are proud of their community; however, I'm closer to correct than you seem to think. It's a great school

[/ QUOTE ]

Good info, but OP stated he's 3 years away from even having kids. So 7 years away from needing a school district. I wouldn't use that as a big factor. Depending on where you're working find a commute you're comfortable with. Then live there.

You can always find a place to move to as you learn the area and your family needs change. Don't buy a home because ACT scores are good for HS district when you aren't even having kids for 3 years.

Naperville is very crowded/hectic and expensive. Maybe you can rent for 6 months to 1 year and explore the area. Find out what you want to be close to (work / lakefront / downtown / lots of golf courses / poker room) and then look to buy. Home market probably not rebounding that quickly so you can still get a good deal.

I grew up in south burb (Frankfort) and wouldn't rule out Orland Park/Mokena/Frankfort. That's where quite a bit of expansion is going and if I-355 extension goes thru in the next 2-3 years you'll have easier access to western/northern burbs and downtown can be reached by train now.

Good luck.

PS OP mentioned Lisle is only 22k. Not an issue--it's surrounded by Naperville, Downers Grove, Westmont, Woodridge....not like it's a town of 22k in the middle of South Dakota. You have a difficult time telling which burb is which.