Thread: Parents Packet
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Parents Packet

[ QUOTE ]
So I receive a packet in the mail from my parents. The first thing I see in big bold letters is "The Dangers of Online Gambling" and I'm just say to myself OMG. The post it note says Please read through this material and honestly look at what you are doing with your life.

All I can think is what the [censored]. My parents have never been a fan of me playing poker but this is the first time they have really taking that next step. It pisses me off for a couple reasons mostly because they can't understand the concept of poker.

What can I do? I have tried to explain the concept of a winning poker player, but obviously they think I "have a get rich quick" scheme like the packet says is a sign of a problem. I mean this really upsets me. I have no idea what to say/do.

Any thoughts, comments, advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice would be not to debate your parents on poker. They have a mindset that poker is just gambling and by debating with them - it makes you look passionate towards poker like your obsessed. Trying to tell them it isn't gambling is not the right way to go about dealing with peoples bad perceptions of poker.

The correct thing to do is to show them that yes you play poker but you only really play for fun... this might not be the case but do it regardless. Try not to get into deep conversations or any conversation on it for that matter - always trivialise it and make it sound unimportant to you.

I would post the book back to them with a note that says something along the lines of.

"Look, I know you mean well but this is out of line. It is a bit silly to jump to the conclusion that since I play poker therefore I have a gambling problem. I would of hoped you have a little more faith in me than that. Poker is a game, games are fun and I play because I enjoy it. I have never played for large sums of money. I have never play for any amount I cannot afford to lose. Infact ever since I have played with real money, I have played entirely on winnings and I have never deposited money more than once. These are hardly traits of a gambler spiraling out of control and running head first into huge debt. I have never seen poker as getting rich quick. I don't play because I want a 'rush'. I play poker because I want to sit down and switch off for a while and I don't think there is much wrong with that."