View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 11:39 AM

Default STAPLE DISHES: EGGS

kind of like iron chef except also the complete opposite:

here is a dish I would probably eat 3+ times a week (with various small alternatives). However, there's no way I make it as well as a professional chef (lol obv) and i'm interested to see how other people make it.

You can a) respond with advice to improve a dish!
or b) respond with your own dish / preparation!

Since these are simple dishes, focus on giving your own little 'tricks' that most people might not use:

OK, FIGHT!

These are my eggs; I hadn't planned to photograph them when i made them, which is kind of the point.

I put the pan on the stove; i put a little extra virgin olive oil in the pan once it had got hot; I then heated this oil a little; once I thought it was hot, I added the eggs (often I add a clove of garlic and/or half an onion, which i sautee until translucent); I had planned to cook them sunny side up, but I am awful at that (or maybe just paranoid, i mean its not rocket science right?), and didn't want to eat a raw egg, so right when I thought they had cooked through fairly well (but where still slightly translucent at the top), I flipped them for a few seconds then took them off.

Then I put a very small knob of butter in the frying pan while it was still hot, and put about half of a small bag of baby spinach in there; I added water until it didn't steam when i put it in the pan, and then once it had steamed away and I thought the pan was hot enough again, I added more.

I toasted a piece of bread, slopped some barbeque sauce on the side, tore up some basil and covered it all in ground pepper. Pretty tasty.

5/10 eggs, imo. I challenge you to beat them!