View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Re: How does my dog know to look at my face?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I forget which animal it is, but upon encountering it, the last thing you want to do is look it in the eye for this will cause it to attack.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to guess that it tends to be prey rather than a predator? I think prey animals tend to be more averse to being starred at in the face. I know I've heard of some bird species that definitely don't like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I thought I heard bears were like this, and I'm pretty sure some apes are as well. If ya think about it, humans are like this. If you turn to see a stranger looking you in the eye, I don't know about you, but my first reaction is, "wtf you looking at?". In other words, it's kind of a sign of aggression unless immediately accompanied by some other signal which is non-threatening.

[/ QUOTE ]

animals view this as a sign of aggression or dominance. i've heard it most often about bear encounters, never stare at them because they'll think you're challenging them and eat you. It also happens with dogs. You can teach dogs to be aggressive by getting in staring contests and looking away before they do.

i think people underestimate how much of what we do is hard wired in genes that go back way further than humans.