View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Screwplayed. Muck it?

I'd call down, fully expecting to see AA, AK, AQ, QQ, 99, and hating myself for paying off.

Given your read, you're probably crushed. I've been a victim of this play many times and have also been the victimizer. Villain deceives you into thinking he doesn't like the Ace and then slams you with a checkraise, and by the river's end, you're staring at top-two or a set.

Still, even for meta-game, I think we need to pay off. There's also the possibility he holds something like JJ, TT, 88, reads you for a weak-ace or something like KQ, and is using the Ace as a scare card to try and power you off such a hand.

Also, should we consider checking behind on the turn? Much like the example in "The Theory of Poker" where we have AA on a KKx board, and Sklansky advises to just call down.

The board is non-threatening, it's heads-up, and a good player has just suspiciously checked after showing a lot of pre-flop strength. That usually signals a monster (or nothing). I think KK, KQ, JJ, TT, continues to bet since you didn't raise on the flop, and even with the above hands, he's still ahead of a TAGs standard opening, 4 handed range.