View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 01:05 PM

Default NL Bet Sizing: a hand example

I'm not going to post with a hand converter, but if you don't feel like reading through the HH, then just skip it and I'll recap it below:

Full Tilt Poker Game #3260190618: Table Vandalia - $1/$2 - No Limit Omaha H/L - 12:49:48 ET - 2007/08/15
Seat 1: rlgolf ($112.35)
Seat 2: Assani Fisher ($268.70)
Seat 3: Enjoy Peace ($60)
Seat 4: ASWWW ($55.50)
Seat 5: MegaDisgruntled ($183)
Seat 6: buzzing ($270.70)
Seat 7: rdevil21 ($257)
Seat 8: TheWhtWhale ($55.70)
Seat 9: sald868 ($334.50)
MegaDisgruntled posts the small blind of $1
buzzing posts the big blind of $2
Enjoy Peace posts $2
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Assani Fisher [Ah Qh 6s 5s]
rdevil21 calls $2
TheWhtWhale folds
sald868 calls $2
rlgolf folds
Assani Fisher has 15 seconds left to act
Assani Fisher calls $2
Enjoy Peace checks
ASWWW calls $2
MegaDisgruntled raises to $4
buzzing folds
rdevil21 calls $2
sald868 calls $2
Assani Fisher calls $2
Enjoy Peace has 15 seconds left to act
Enjoy Peace folds
ASWWW calls $2
*** FLOP *** [As Qs 8c]
Enjoy Peace stands up
MegaDisgruntled checks
rdevil21 checks
sald868 checks
action on Assani Fisher

Recap: Small raise preflop and 6 players to the flop has the pot at around $25. I flop top two pair, bad flush draw, and a bad low draw.

Obviously this hand doesn't want to play against a big field since most of my draws wouldn't be good.

I'll save my analysis for later, but I basically want to know what you'd bet the majority of the time. I think that bet sizing in NLO8 is something that I'm still working on and could improve. Of course you can always fall back on a pot sized bet, but with that you'll often give people too good of odds to their draws.

So while I did provide a specific hand, I'd like to also have a general discussion of bet sizing if possible. How often do you overbet the pot and with what hands? It seems simpler to just go all in on many occassions, but I have to think that we're leaving some money on the table by doing that in that we don't give our opponents a chance to make a mistake of calling when they're not getting the odds to do so.