Thread: Average Hands
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Average Hands

People often refer to Q7 as the "computer hand" - the legend goes that someone analyzed it and found it to be the mean (or was it median?) hand in terms of EV - though Poker Stove does not seem to think so. In fact Q7s is a favorite against 8 other random hands, and Q7o is a definite dog against 8 other random hands.

Just out of interest, I began a trial and error run of specific hands against 8 random hands (9 hands total). These are the hands that are very close to "even" with the random bunch. If it is farther than .1% from the average, that is indicated by "slight favorite" or "slight dog":

Pocket Pairs:

Suited Aces, kings, and queens:

None - all suited aces and suited kings have an equity advantage over 8 other random hands. Q2s is nearly even with the 8 random hands, but still a slight favorite.

Suited Jacks and tens:

J4s

T5s (slight dog)

Other suited hands: See suited connectors

Offsuit Aces, Kings, Queens:

A8o (incidentally, all other offsuit non-connectors (except A9o) are substantial dogs) A9o is the only offsuit non-connector with an equity advantage.

K9o and Q9o (slight favorites)

Suited connectors:

Zero gap:

43s (slight dog)

One Gap:

53s (slight favorite)

Two gap:

74s (slight dog)

Three gap:

95s (slight dog)

Offsuit connectors:

Zero Gap:

T9o is a favorite, 98o is a dog - the average in right between them.

One Gap:

J9o (slight favorite)

Two Gap and Three Gap: Same as offsuit kings and queens.

I don't know that any of this is useful, but I found it interesting that there were *many* hands that were right at the average against 8 other random hands.

Basically, there are three hands that are a dead heat against 8 other random hands: 44, J4s, and A8o.

AB