View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: 1st round NCAA/NIT sides and totals

Micro, definitely possible, but N. Texas has only scored under 70 five time this season. While Memphis is a big step up in competition, their defense isn't that great, so I think NT can hit the mid-high 60s.
Let's start with the Tuesday game:

Niagara (-8.5) over Florida A&M (1.5 units)

Tough to provide great statistical analysis on this game as the compeition that each team faces is vastly different. I told myself that I would bet Niagara if it was under 10. I feel that Niagara being in the play-in game in one of the under-the-radar seeding snubs in this tournament. They are better than about 5 or 6 of the regularly seeded teams in my opinion.

Looking at Florida A&M schedule, they were blown out by pretty much every mid-high major team they faced. Niagara doesn't have any huge wins, but they did win @Marist, @La Salle, Duquesne, Holy Cross, and @Central Mich. They struggled early in the season, but that was with some suspensions to some key players. They have now reeled off 11 in a row to end the season now that their team in intact.

Looking FAMU's sched, I feel that they let the other team dictate tempo, as they have played some high scoring games and then they have a game like Miami OH where they lost 52-33. So Niagara should be able to play at their desired fast pace. Also, l Like the fact that Niagara shoots 73.5% from the line. That could help down the stretch. Florida A&M also turns it over an astounding 17 times per game (.77 assist to TO) compared to Niagara's 13.3 (1.03 assist to TO)

To be honest, the stat splits for the teams are not terribly different, but we all know that playing Siena and Marist is different from playing Hampton and Bethune-Cookman.

I also feel that the Purple Eagles are going to feel slightly disrespected by their seeding and should come out with fire. I have also seen Niagara play three times this year, and have generally been impressed. Like I said, not many fancy stats since it is difficult to compare them, but I just feel that Niagara should take this by DD.

Also, if you read this story, you would be inclined to believe that the Purple Eagels will be more than ready:
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas...story/10055245
"We feel disrespected," junior forward Charron Fisher said. "I'm sure you'll be able to see when we play on Tuesday how disrespected we feel."

"It was shocking," Coach Mihalich said of the seeding. "I think everybody was shocked, and maybe some people were insulted by it. But that's good. That's fine with us."

"We're ready to go," Mihalich said. "The committee did us a favor. They found a team that responds to adversity and thrives on adversity. And they gave us some more adversity to deal with."

Niagara 82
FAMU 67