View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: JJ overpair. what\'s your standard play?

[ QUOTE ]
100% raise flop, he could so easily be doing a pot size bet to check where you really stand while Holding AK etc.. Then even if you call he may hit A or K and take the lead.

Also if you 3 bet and he calls you are maybe looking at higher over pair or highly unlikely 4 of kind or trips.

Basically, apart from now having no idea where you stand, you risked being outdrawn to a A, K or Q or maybe even an open str8 draw.

Raise Raise Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? he like never has AK here, and i have an incredibly good idea where i stand. hh/89s/77-99/random air, moreso the first two than the last, is what he's usually got here. the T on the turn hooks up with almost none of that.

obviously raising on the flop is fine, and if i make a big raise, its maybe tempting for him to shove even weaker draws given stack size, but its not like calling against this guy isn't also very profitable as well.

i'm fairly well sold on the flop raise, but i don't think that calling and raising that turn is as bad in relation to calling down as some of you guys are making it out to be. yeah, it just folds out of a bunch of draws, but we really don't know that he'll triple if he misses, and he's folding the turn almost always, after doubling almost always, and we do get the one extra bet.