View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Ruling Re: Raise or Call

[ QUOTE ]
This is a call. In tournaments this is a long standing practice. I have seen rules nits argue (their argument comes up if there is a $30 bet and a player puts in a $100 and a $5 which is a call by custom in tournaments). Maybe some of these long established customs havne't been picked up by the new players since you commented you haven't seen this before and I know you deal NL on a daily basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NL I deal typically doesn't involve this sort of issue since its almost entirely bet as Red chips.

But What specifically mean I hadn't seen before was the ruling where a player takes back some of the chips he already had out there and adds to it and has it treatyed as a single chip.

In the same card room I saw a circumstance where in a oturnament, facing a $125 bet the player through out a $500 and a $25 and this was called a raise (even though the player protetsted that he only meant to call and the $25 chip was to help make change easier).

Given that prior ruling (which appears more common in todays Las Vegas poker rooms) do you think that taking back 2 chips a and specifically leaving one and then adding an oversized chip should be considered the same thing as only throwing out an oversized chip).

Now that I think about it. I was involved in this scenario.laying $1-$2 NL I'm the small blind. Action comes around to me and I want to raise to $6. I reach out with a $5 chip pick up the $1 (which is already out over the betting line) and toss both chips forward a few inches (never having taken back the $1). Dealer treated this as a raise, but later commented that he thinks he made a mistake and that it should have been treated as an oversized chip. In my mind it seems that my action made it clear I was betting the two chips. How do you see that situation?