View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Standard Parent Question

[ QUOTE ]
We can't take that for granted anymore at all, and so popping out kids just because that's the way it was always done before, and because one might as well just do what they like and hope for the best, seems very outdated to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Outdated? More like coded into our DNA. Not that I disagree with anything you said really. What's that say about our our societal values when we can't afford to reproduce?

While driving through an upper middle class track housing neighborhood one night at around 7pm, my daughter commented about how she wished we had a nicer house. I told her to look at how many of those "homes" had lights on. Maybe 5-10%. 7pm on a week night and no one was home. Why? Working OT or a second job to pay the mortgage? I asked her if she would be willing to take time away from hobbies, interests, social activities, etc in order to be able to live in a house like that when she was older. She decided the things she did and the people she cared about brought her more pleasure than living in a pretty house that looked just like the pretty house next door, and the next house after that, etc, etc, would.

So, if she continues down the path of valuing all that doesn't glitter, she may end up making me a grandmother before I'm 45. And then I'll have to kill her.

OP, go with your gut, it will never lie to you. You're not old enough to have the urge to reproduce anyway. I think that comes 'round early - mid 30s for most (if they haven't succumbed already). And, (if you're going to get it) you likely will get the "urge" when *you're* ready, not when mom is - which is how it should be.

Oh, and FWIW, I'm 41. When my mother, (or anyone for that matter), tells me what to do, my gut reaction is to do the exact opposite. OOPS! Guess I'm not ready to have kids!