View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Standard Parent Question

I figure I can contribute a little to this thread, as I am 22 and did not plan on having kids until 25+. The fiance is now 1 month away from her due date, and my office is pastel green with a crib in it.

I'll skip by all of the fairly obvious positives/negatives of being a parent, and try to outline what I think is the major "life-changing" aspect of becoming a parent.

I'd say most people in this world are inherently very selfish. I still am, to an extent. But the past half-year of knowing that I'm going to be a parent has really changed my outlook. The days when I didn't give a [censored] about anybody but myself are over...forever.

There is a very different feeling that you get when you know that someones' entire livelihood is completely reliant on you. I'm sure the feeling effects everybody differently, but personally, it has made me work harder and smarter than I ever have before. It has been a whole new level of motivation for me. Mind you, the baby is 1 month away from being born still. I may have some "moment of awakening" when I hold her for the first time, but can't really comment about that until it happens.

I'm sure OP's mother (and all mothers) want their children to eventually find the level of maturity and compassion that are encouraged by being a parent. I'm sure they also had fond memories of raising their own children, and are eager to experience this over again with grandchildren.

In terms of your own personal gratification from being a parent - this is one thing that is pretty much universal for all people (hell, even for all species). One of the most noble/honorable things you can do in this world is to be a good father/mother to your children. Ask any parent.

My whole mindset may change in a month when my spawn is born, but right now this is what I think [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]