View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 MLB Offseason Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
rwperu,

I don't know WTF you're talking about with team construction, but I'm pretty sure its bad and wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you telling me if you had two unknown players, you'd rather have them both come out average rather than one a superstar and one a flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure if you managed a team with the philosophy you espouse you'd spend most of the years below replacement level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're on different pages here. I said you should usually take the player with the highest EV and you said that's a bad way to build a team.

I think what you're trying to say is, it's bad to build a team from only high risk/high reward type players. I say that's arguable, so long as you're getting more EV, but that's beside the point. Most of the time, the highest EV is going to be the player with the least risk.

The problem I have with this deal from the Rays POV is, they are actually getting less EV and taking more risk. It's kind of bizarre, but something I would expect from a team that's got a season high of 70 wins over the last ten years.