View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Do you think dogs get lonely?

If you don't have a fence you could always put up an invisible fence. That is what I have mine trained on and it is great. You just run a wire around your property, hook it up to a transmitter, put on the special collar and you are ready to go. The collar lets out a beep when they get too close to the fence and if they proceed further into the off-limits zone they will get shocked. Most dogs will pick up on the noise pretty quick and won't get shocked more than a few times. You can set the shock to a level that is mostly just uncomfortable and won't actually hurt the dog. My hound dog is a big baby (90+ lbs) and I got her the collar for small <10 lbs dogs (had to attach it to a bigger collar) and it worked great. After a couple months I took the collar off and she never leaves the yard zone even when another dog is walking by. I work a 40 hour week and she gets lonely but I keep plenty of toys around for her to play with while I am gone. The puppy kong toys are great. You put a treat inside of them and dogs will spend hours trying to get them out.