View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Bulking: Clean Diet?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you have to be extremely strict to reach those goals with a very skinny body type. These people are having trouble putting on weight no matter what they eat. The goal isn't to look a bit more muscular. We're trying to add a significant amount of mass to people who just aren't growing. We want to create a state in which is ideal for our body to add overall mass. Again, this isn't for people who don't have trouble putting on weight. As far as 5% and 6% go, I agree with you that there is little difference. But I think a line has to be drawn somewhere. Or else what's the difference between 6% and 7% or 7% and 8% for that matter. I chose 6% because it's close to what is achievable by most people. When we're talking about the low end of what is ideal, it all comes down to genetics on what you can maintain and still be healthy. Yes, most clean foods (talking mostly about clean carbs here such as any green vegetable) do not pack a significant amount of calories for what these people need unless they plan to have a ton of servings. You can definitely do it, but it's just not practical. And remember, these people are having trouble putting on weight anyway, so by not eating as clean as your or I, they are not making a very big mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems you are equating very skinny body types with being lean. this is not exactly true. If someone has a skinny body type, more often than not it is because they lack muscle not because they cant put on weight (skinny fat guys). If someone truly does have trouble putting on weight at all (which a lot of people do), than they arent going to be above 10% bf more often times than not, and can just basically heed my advice w/o doing much.

Scotty,

also, think of it this way, if you do a slow controlled cut, you wont lose too much muscle, if any, losing muscle really comes nto play when you are near the higher reccomended negative calorie balance (5 or 600 defecit a day), if you go lower, muscle loss isnt really much for a factor (basically none for a newb). so you only need to lose about 12lbs which is nothing (it may be psychologically, but most random people will never notice if you lose 10 lbs)