View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Apathy or unquenched desire?

[ QUOTE ]
I played baseball most of my life up until I started playing poker when I was 16. Playing a competitive sport where failing 70% of the time on offense was standard for good players helped me develop my "apathetic desire" for poker tournaments. It's probably different with most people who are used to excelling at a high level when being associated in regards to being "successful". It's not so much apathy or unquenched desire, but more both.

[/ QUOTE ]

At risk of getting flamed, I'll point out that Chad Brown wrote an article in Bluff last month where he discussed how his former career as an actor, where you go to dozens of auditions for every 1 gig you get, prepared him mentally for the virtually constant losing interspersed with very occasional successes you experience on the live tournament circuit. My former profession, criminal defense attorney, is one of virtually constant defeats, albeit unlike with acting or poker you still get paid when you lose (in fact, it's illegal to have a success-based fee structure in a criminal case).