View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Why I Hate Missouri -- You Should Too

BTW, those of you with a new-found interest in the rivalry might find the all-time series tally in football interesting.

KU Media Guide: 54-52-9

MU Media Guide: 53-53-9

In 1960, Missouri was 9-0 and ranked #1 in the country. Kansas was 6-2-1 with both losses coming to teams that were #1 at the time Kansas played them. The series was tied 30-30-8 at this time.

Of course, Kansas goes on to defeat the Tigers 23-7. A guy named Bert Coan had nine carries in that game which would turn out to be pretty meaningful.

Turns out there was a lot of controversy about this guy's eligibility. MU claimed a KU booster named Bud Adams had provided improper benefits (a plane ride to some place or another). Bud Adams claimed there was no recruiting involved which I guess made it legal at the time.

So, several weeks after the game, officials from each of the 8 Big 8 schools met and addressed the issue. The rules stated that a 3/4 majority (6 teams) was needed to declare him ineligible. Well, the first order or business that day was changing the policy such that only a simple majority was needed. Once that was settled they went on to declare Coan ineligible with a 5-3 vote. Kansas thus had to forfeit the game.

Missouri went on to technically finish 11-0, but the AP essentially denied this claim and ranked them 5th rather than giving them the title.

Due to the Coan ruling Kansas also forfeited a game to Kansas, but Colorado does not claim the win. They state, "Kansas used an ineligible player and that game was later forfeited to Colorado, but all records are computed with the result that took place on the field."

So, bottom line, if you go by what 5/8 of the Big 8 decides in a hotel several weeks later, the series is tied. If you go by the results on the field it's a 2 game edge to Kansas.

Link to the article that I plagiarized a couple of times here.