View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: please evaluate my life plan:

there really isnt anything i'd particularly like to do as a career. what i enjoy is meeting up with friends, going out, eating at nice restaurants, security, keeping the parents happy, knowing if i keep working ill be able to retire early with a decent balance to my name.

and heck, sure ill probably hate it at times, but it's a challenge, it's something to put my mind to. it's something to feel proud of if i succeed. on these forums we get used to reading about everyone doing so incredibly well. i think a reality check is often needed. take two of my school friends who i meet a couple of times a week down the pub.
one of them wanted to become a sports journalist, something he liked to do. he did a 3 month journalism course, did work for a local newspaper. time came round to apply for a proper local newspaper job, and the competition was too high. he's spent months applying and barely getting any interviews, yet he has a decent academic record. he is now considering a change in his career idea.
another friend studied music at a good university. he would like to go into the music industry. he did got a work experience job for 6 months at a the royal phillamonic (sp?) orchestra in london. after that he has struggled to get any interviews. he is currently doing telesales till he can find something.

now, whilst i wish them both the best, sometimes doing something you like simply isnt realistic. the sports journalist wannabe would have been on $26K salary, you can't even rent somewhere and live properly for that in london.

i'm not from a wealthy background, more a standard middle class background, mum's a housewife, dad's a retired teacher. if i want to own my own house, provide well for my kids (if i end out have any), go abroad as much as i hope to, be able to go to the really good restuarants, blow money on strippers (as i do), and generally never worry about money in terms of paying for essentials, then this isn't going to fall into my lap, it's something i'm going to have to work at, something i'm going to have to invest some time and effort into.

sorry if that comes across as mega-over-the-top, just i feel often on these forums you have people who have 'made it' by following something the want to do. unfortunately we don't read about the other 90%+ who haven't made it, and wishing they had taken the safe option.

anyways, ill leave it at that, sorry again, i don't mean to single you out at someone to have a general rant at, it's just i read a lot of this on the forum and other forums, and i think the reality is a lot different. maybe i just have bad tastes, in that my tastes means i need to have a decent amount of money later in life, in terms of nice house, provide for kids (not saying you cant without money, but its definitely easier), nice holidays, restaurants etc. some people i know don't care about these things and don't care about money, but just me i do. it's not the 'i want to be as rich as i can' it is just i want to have the lifestyle i'd most enjoy, once i get there and can stay there, im retiring asap.