View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Weather Channel Founder says\"Global Warming is Biggest Scam in His

[ QUOTE ]
Actually it's not. Are you saying that Gordon Moore what not have done anything in advancing semi conducter techonlogy without government research? Preposterous if you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adios, you are misreading what I wrote. I have repeatedly stated that I refuse to debate what would have happened or what could have happened if we changed XXXXX. Those are crystal ball arguments. As I said before I will only discuss what DID occur. Everything else is a waste of time. I have also stated that any argument that anything will "never" be invented (within the subset of things that are possible) by a certain system is silly. Eternity is a long time.

[ QUOTE ]
Right the private sector has and will make plenty of "novel breakthroughs."

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said they didn't. I only said that private industry has the historical track record of being nearly absent when it comes to contributing to certain fields. Any science college textbook can prove that. Private industry generally excels where there is cut throat competition. The current computer industry is one such example where private industry is the titan. But even today there are certain aspects of the computer industry where grant research is making huge breakthroughs. I suspect that is partially due to of a lack of competition from industry in a certain niche.

[ QUOTE ]
If I remember corectly you advocate having a disprportionate contribution to GDP by government spending ala WWII to "solve" energy problems and such. If you think that the private sector investment won't change as a result sorry to say you're sadly mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can beat that ideology drum all you want but I refuse to go there. I made the simple request of one single historical example and until you can find one example then I guess I will remain "sadly mistaken" and your position will remain unsupported by historical facts.