View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 06:42 AM

Default Re: example of police coercion

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I always wondered is when a cop pulls you over do they really have a right to run the passengers ids as well as the drivers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know and it may differ from state to state. But officers can always make up stories to cover their bs. So when I deal with cops (which is very rarely) I present myself as mr courtious do good citizen and coopeate. I don't dress or act like someone who would be involved with drugs or gangs or whatever, but in my past I have been beaten to the point of unconsciousness by police and other things as well.

But at a routine traffic stop if he wants me to get out of the care 'it is no longer routine' so I will change modes. Doors and windows all locked before exiting. And even though it would be unusual for anything illegal to be in my car he IS NOT searching that car without a warrant, or by using my keys while I clearly and loudly am stating I do not consent to this search. Or if a dog hits on a drug smell and that allows them to search. But lots of times they just say they will bring a drug dog to get you to volunteer permission. YOur not gonna get in EXTRA trouble by not volunteering and there is a very distinct chance they have no dog avaiable, or don't want to waste it on you. It is very very wrong for government to try to punnish you for asserting your rights and a lawyer can have a field day with this.

Same thing wiht "we can talk about it at the station" I say "If I am being arrested and taken to the station lets go!" and put my hands out to be cuffed (unless it was for something like having an open container and he tells me to pour it out, I"m pouring that shizat out, I"m not gonna f with him over my rights at that point if you get my drift.

I think they can use the 'suspicious person' angle to look at passanger ID's so if you don't dress or look like a pothead you avoid looking suspicious. Look up your local laws.

And it's never wrong to ask "Is that an order or a request officer?" (but when he asks for your drivers license after pulling you over this IS NOT the time to be asking such questions). If it's an order you do it, even if what he is ordering you to do is clearly illegal...straighten that out with internal affairs or a lawsuit or whatever at a later date, never struggle with cops when they are giving you 'orders'.

It's OK to be assertive, but BE POLITE and Courtious. If you come across as a dick, like you are f'ing wiht him on purpose, he will probably find a way to f u back. He does that for a living.