View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Do you call this river?

[ QUOTE ]
What do you put villian on?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Assani - You can't put Villain on anything specific, except that he probably doesn't have a flopped set. (Otherwise he probably would have raised at some point).

A missed low draw is a strong possibility. A spade flush is also a possibility.

Hero bet the flop and then Hero bet the turn. When a scare card appears on the river, and Hero backs off, Villain might bet anything, hoping to steal the pot.

Hero's alternative is to bet himself on the river, hoping to steal from Villain. (But that obviously would be dare devilish). Being out of position, missing on the river, and then checking after you've been betting the whole way is almost an invitation to a gutsy opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you take his pot sized river bet to represent?

[/ QUOTE ]It represents a full house, but it doesn't have to actually be a full house in this betting sequence. On the other hand, Villain could have a king with an ace, jack, or seven (especially with an ace). Villain could simply have a bare king.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps most importantly, what do you think he thinks I have?

[/ QUOTE ]Probably a missed low draw with maybe a pair or two. Possibly a spade flush. I don't think he thinks you have a full house or trip kings.

[ QUOTE ]
It just didn't add up to me and I called.

[/ QUOTE ]Tough spot for you. Tough decision. (I have not looked at the results. I usually don't look at the results.) Whatever happened, your call seems reasonable to me. He could easily be bluffing.

Villain has position on you and is using position to his advantage here.

Buzz