View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: which universities??

[ QUOTE ]
TBH it sounds like you don't too much idea as to schools in the US. It also sounds like you're not the greatest student, which you probably have to be if you're looking at any of the schools that you would recognise (usually the best schools have the international reputation).

Also I'm not sure about how you've been going at school so far to get into a Uni in Sweden but from what I've read about the US it's a whole thing of being 'well rounded' -- volunteering, extracurriculars etc. It sounds like people do that stuff because they have to rather than because they want to, but I guess that's the game.

But, yeah, learning about all that extra stuff you have to do on top of grades to be competitive came as quite a shock for me since in New Zealand it's done only on grades, and you're pretty much getting in anywhere given you've gained University Entrance.

Oh, and in your conditions you have a problem... "easy to get into for int. students" and "good reputation" nothing which is easy for int. students to get into is going to have a stellar rep.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is spot on, i am a highschool senior from the US and having good test score and grades doesn't cut it at the best. a lot of weight goes into what you have done with extra-curricular activity, community service, just having something that makes you stand out among 10k+ applicants.

you are also completely right about the "part of the game" comment, people do a lot of things they wouldn't do on their own to make themselves appealing to colleges, something of which i a guilty. in short getting into a top school in the US requires good grades, SAT/ACT scores, a good essay(s) and something that makes you look different from all the other applicants (dont talk about poker, it will end badly).