View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

[ QUOTE ]
If you are educated and have a modicum of drive, getting into that 15% is fairly easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the process is pretty easy but the fact that more people don't do it makes me think it might not be as easy for them.

To start with less than 40% of young people go to university. So for 60% the education is off the table. Of the 40% who go at least 20% don't have any reason to be in university (80% at some schools). A large portion of these end up with joke degrees like Psych and Sociology which again means they will never have a career but now they have student debt to worry about.

Most people leave university worse off. The people you are talking about would be individuals who end up in business school, law, medical school, engineering etc. Basically one of the professional degrees. I think competition for these is, while not hard, at least moderately challenging and sufficiently difficult to exclude most of the people who choose poker with no back up plan.

Most of society is not that smart or that industrious. Poker doesn't require that they be so fits for them.