View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: A5s in blind battle.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw for a TON of people, drastically lowering variance, even if it reduces your profit by 10-30% will be hugely +EV in poker and in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

curtains, I don't know what exactly you mean by 10-30% drop (in ROI?), but I'm not sure at all that most winning mtt players (specifically online players who play tons of tourneys), will accept that offer (if winning would drop a lot less, sure I might consider it). I don't play massive volume and I'd not accept it.

This might sound absurd to you, but for me, and I'm sure that for many others, the ups and downs of poker and the struggle that come with them, are big part of what makes poker (and other forms of lets call it "intelligent gambling") so appealing.

I don't know, maybe I see it this way cause I had a v big cash recently, that was so amazingly satisfying. And it was worth going through a lot of variance, to "get there" (edit: no, it didn't change much, as I'm sure was thinking the same way before that).

Also there was a big thread about this subject in hsnl, maybe a year and a half ago, interesting stuff, but most of it has to do with people's psychology, not a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw has nothing to do with MTTs. Of course MTTs by nature are ridiculously swingly with huge variance. You can't avoid gigantic swings in MTTs no matter what you do.

It's more about cash games and stuff like playing lower limits, even though your win rate may be slightly less, but your quality of life and stamina to play will be higher. It's much easier to play more hours and better when you are winning, no matter who you are. There are very few exceptions to this rule.